Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Little Shelford
  • Back Forward

The Red Cottages, High Street, Little Shelford

History of The Red Cottages

Fanny Wale in Shelford Parva notes that near The Westfield on the road known then as Back Lane, there is a row of five cottages, in groups of three and two. They were originally of wood and painted red with red tiles roofs, but by the time Fanny was writing, c.1910, they were faced in white brick. They had belonged to Henry Gee, but on his death were sold to Charles Jennings.

Widow of George Gillingham, old soldier and youngest daughter, Agnes, and grandson Freddie. George met his wife in Dublin when in Dublin during the Crimean War.

Jospeh Payne, widower, with several children in Australia.

Mr and Mrs Lloyd, cow keeper to Fordham the farmer.

Mr and Mrs Mead

Projects

  • Little Shelford

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Little Shelford

The Plough Public House, 63 High Street, Little Shelford

Site of Rose Cottage, Church Street, Little Shelford

Blacksmith’s Corner, Little Shelford

The Chequers, Church Street, Little Shelford

Ivy Cottage, 16 Whittlesford Road, Little Shelford

53 High Street, Little Shelford

9 Hauxton Road, Little Shelford

67 High Street, Little Shelford

Ellum’s Cottage, 13 High Street, Little Shelford

11 High Street, Stearn’s House, Mrs Cooper’s School,Little Shelford