Search by topic
Search by text
The Old House, 1 Whittlesford Road, Little Shelford
History of the Old House
House, formerly lodge, late C16, C18, late C19 and c.1928. Red brick, painted, with timber-framing and plaster render. Steeply pitched tiled roofs, with a half hipped roof to the west gable end. Two side stacks to the north wall. Original plan of a single range parallel to the road and forming the north crosswing to an H-plan manor house of c.1600.
A model of the original house is in the Cambridge and County Folk Museum, Castle Hill, Cambridge. Thomas Babington Macaulay, the historian, was at school here from 1813-15 and refers to an attic room, possibly that in the west gable end, in his correspondence.