Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Little Shelford
  • Back Forward
A grey-toned drawing of a two-story building with a smaller adjacent structure, with figures and bicycles in the foreground.

Three Horseshoes, Church Street, Little Shelford by Fanny Wale

The Three Horse Shoes, Church Street, Little Shelford

History of the Three Horseshoes

Approximate position

Fanny Wale writes in “Shelford Parva”:

This Public House stood by the side of Church Road [sic] on slightly raised ground at the west end of the wall which encloses the garden belonging to Mr and Mrs Lofts. It belongd to the brewer Headly of Great helford and only his beer might be sold there…. In 1907 the County Council took away the license of the Three Horse Shoes, and it was bought by Mr Lockhart, the sub-librarian of St John’s College, Cambridge, who married Hilda, a daughter of Arthur Austin of West House, and he pulled it down in July 1908 and built a new red brick habitation on the same ground…..

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Little Shelford

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Little Shelford

105 – 107 Norfolk Street / 1a Gwydir Street, Prince of Wales

The Old Three Crowns Inn, 31 & 33 Waterside, Ely

1 Devonshire Road, Midland Tavern

93 & 95 High Street, (King William IV), Little Shelford

Harvey and Son, Hauxton Road, Little Shelford

Site of Post Office, Little Shelford

Hall Farm, High Street, Little Shelford

Elbourne’s House, 17 High Street, Little Shelford

Butler’s house and shop, 15 High Street, Little Shelford

Kirby Lodge, Little Shelford

Saintfoins / Sainfoins, Whittlesford Road, Little Shelford

Palavicini Dam, Little Shelford

Caguga (Cagua) Cottage, Church Street, Little Shelford