Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

52 Sidney Street, The King’s Head

History of 52 Sidney Street

This was the site of The King’s Head. In the early 19th century it was a coaching inn and ran a daily coach, The Blucher, to Huntingdon. The head ostler, George Traise, moved from here and took over the licence of The Engineer in Hills Road in 1845. Barraclough (2018) notes that this was a smart move as the railway was putting coaching inns out of business. The King’s Head closed about 1851.

1851

Charles Loyd Davis, 44, inn keeper, b Hants

Susannah, 39, b Surrey

Maria, 12, b Cambridge

Westbrook, 7, born Cambridge

Susanna, 5, b Cambridge

James Vaugham, visitor, 39, solicitor’s clerk, b Surrey

Charlotte Haslow, 29, bar maid, b essex

Sarah Phillips, 25, waitress, b Suffolk

Maria Mean, 24, chambermaid, b Ickleton

Mary Taylor, 25, cook, b Isleham

William Savell, 22, boots, b Cambridge

…………

1962

Eastern Gas Board

………….

2018

Lakeland

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.