Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Little Shelford
  • Back Forward
A tall, slender stone obelisk topped with a sphere stands on a wide, tapered stone base in a grassy field against a blue sky.

Wale obelisk, Little Shelford (Google)

Wale Obelisk, Little Shelford

History of the Wale obelisk

The obelisk in memory of Gregory Wale was restored in 1908 by the Wale family.

A tall stone obelisk stands on a large, low, pyramid-shaped base in the middle of a green field under a partly cloudy sky.

Wale obelisk, Little Shelford (Google)

Fanny Wale writes that Gregory Wale was born in 1666. He married Margaret, daughter of Ezekiel Sparke of Risby Hall, Suffolk.  She died in 1702 and he married again, Eliza Hitch, daughter of Captain Thomas Hitch of Melbourn, one of the Covenant and a ‘Preacher of the Word.’

The inscription in Shelford Parva is thus:

A typewritten document recording the memorial inscription for Gregory Wale, Esquire, centered on a plain light background.

Wale memorial, Little Shelford (Fanny Wale, Shelford Parva)

Projects

  • Little Shelford

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Little Shelford

Caguga (Cagua) Cottage, Church Street, Little Shelford

The Chequers, Church Street, Little Shelford

14 Whittlesford Road, Little Shelford

Little Shelford recreation ground and allotments, Garden Fields

Westfield, High Street, Little Shelford

Gate bungalow, 65 Hauxton Road, Little Shelford

Harvey and Son, Hauxton Road, Little Shelford

documents

Shelfords data

The Red House, Newton Road, Little Shelford

26 High Street, White’s Farmhouse, Little Shelford