Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Longstanton
  • Back Forward

Oakington Pillbox, Rampton Road, Longstanton

History of the Pill Box

Listed Building:

A cantilevered pillbox on the north side of Rampton Road, constructed in 1941as part of the airfield defences for the former Bomber Command base at RAF Oakington.

………

RAF Oakington was an expansion period aerodrome constructed in 1939 and placed under Bomber Command during World War II. From 1950 it was part of Training Command before being transferred to the army in 1975 and then used as an immigration reception centre between 1999 and 2010. The watch tower and some of the airfield defence structures such as the battle headquarters, command posts and later ROC post were demolished by the army. Many of the station buildings have been demolished recently in advance of redevelopment.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • world war two

Projects

  • Longstanton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Longstanton

7 Kneesworth Street, Royston

Fencroft, Leverington

6 George Street, Willingham

Smithy, School Road, Long Stanton

2 Hattons Road, Longstanton

High Street, Long Stanton

Over Road, Long Stanton

Fish Pond Cottages, Long Stanton

School, School Road, Long Stanton

Railway Tavern, Long Stanton

Golden End, Long Stanton

documents

Hatton House, Long Stanton

The Grange, 46 St Michaels, Long Stanton St Michael