Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
66 High Street, Melbourn

66 High Street, Melbourn

History of 66 High Street

Building behind 66 High Street, Melbourn

Listed building:

Mid C19. Brick front wall, now painted, and flint end walls. Low pitch roof now covered with asbestos tiles.

Adjoining at the rear is a range of outbuildings, including two storey C19 glass workshop.

Reset door with 1682 on frame. Two window panes inscribed ‘Tom King married – day of 1848’ and ‘King and Howard began work in the year 1839’ respectively. In 1842 the house was owned by George Ward, who also appears in the Kelly’s Directory of this time asa glazier and plumber.

…………

1901:

Susan Payne, widow, 71, b Essex

 

Jane Camp, 60, b Melbourn

John, 19, gardener, b Melbourn

 

David Huggins, 61, pig dealer and pork butcher, b Melbourn

Elizabeth, 63, b Melbourn

 

Rachel Wright, widow, 80, b Orwell

…………….

1913:

Ernest Winter, 30, horse keeper carting contractor, b Melbourn

Emily, 21, b Melbourn

 

Anne Wade, 74, widow, old age pensioner, b Melbourn

………………

1939:

Annie Woollard, b 1867, district nurse disabled

 

Alfred J Harland, b 1889, coal carman (ARP warden)

Grace, b 1890

?

Winifred Mumford, b 1917

?

……………..

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.