Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Steeple Morden
  • Back Forward

The Diggings, 2 Shingay Road, Steeple Morden

History of The Diggings

c1865: built as a beerhouse for Philip and Arthur Hugh Meyer.. The local area contained deposits of coprolite.  The Meyers created a brewing business but sold out in 1897. However the Meyers kept the Diggings.

1871 – 1879 Edward Williams licensee

1879 – 1897 James Walker licensee

1897 inquest into the death of an infant named the location Walker’s Corner public house

1900 – 1907 Frederick John Carter licensee

1907 -1937 Lawrence Hurrell licensee

1909 on death of Arthur Meyer, house sold to Capt Phillips.

1937 – 1956 Norman Williams licensee

1956 closed as a pub.

(See Steeple Morden History website)

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Steeple Morden

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Steeple Morden

White Horse, 29 High Street, Burwell

The Old Plough, 40, West Street, Comberton

The Lord Nelson, 21 West Street, Godmanchester

32 The Green, Steeple Morden

Steeple Morden data

Morden Grange / Heath Farm, Steeple Morden

Kinnel Cottage, 15 Church Street, Steeple Morden

North Brook End House, Flecks Lane, Steeple Morden

The Carriers, The Carriers Arms, 78 Hay Street, Steeple Morden

The Plough, The Corner House, 1 Ashwell Road, Steeple Morden

12 Hay Street, Steeple Morden

Cheyney water Farmhouse, 2 Litlington Road, Steeple Morden

17 Church Street, Steeple Morden