Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Swavesey
  • Back Forward
A black-and-white postcard showing a small, wooden-clad mission church with a bell turret beside a road in Swavesey.

St Peter Mission church, Boxworth End built 1893 to enable local people to attend church locally. Church closed in 1923 and sold to Mr Simons. It was used as garage and workshop. Bell given to Eddie Williams who went to Australia in 1932 and was ordained there. His church had no bell so Swavesey bell was sent to Australia. (Alan Lee Swavesey collection)

Mission Church, Boxworth End, Swavesey

History of the Mission Church

A 1901 Ordnance Survey map detail showing property boundaries, plot numbers, a Mission Room, and the Black Bull public house.

Boxworth End OS 1901

The Mission church was built in 1893; closed in 1923.

Projects

  • Swavesey

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Swavesey

Middle Fen Crossing, Swavesey

Castle Hill earthworks, Swavesey

1 Blackhorse lane, Swavesey

School House, High Street, Swavesey

Chapel, School Lane, Swavesey

1 – 3 Station Road, (Cricketers), High Street, Swavesey

Barn, Farm Farmhouse, Boxworth End, Swavesey

Greenside Close, Swavesey

36 Boxworth End, Drayton Cottage, Swavesey

St Andrew, (Benedictine priory), Swavesey