Manor House, Swavesey in 1976
The Old Manor House, 80 Station Road, Swavesey
History of the Old Manor House
Manor house. Late medieval, early C17 with C19 alterations. Timber framed and plastered, C17 red brick, and C19 gault brick; plain tile roofs. Two storeys; two late medieval crosswings with central hall range rebuilt early C17.
The manor was purchased in 1549 by the 4th Sir John Cutts (1525-1554), of Horham Hall, Essex; his son, 5th Sir John Cutts of Childerly Hall Cambridge ‘built a very pretty retyring house there’, (Swavesey) (Cole). The manor was called Bennets, and was sold by the Cutts family in 1718 to Mr Bacon.
The Manor House, Swavesey.. Description
Henry Wiles, 46, farmer 1060 acres employing 44 labourers, b Hunts
Sarah, 32, b Landbeach
Katherine, 6, b Swavesey
Alice S, 5, b Swavesey
Annette, 1, b Swavesey
Susan Mitham, servant, 18, b Swavesey
Ann Hick, servant, 19, b Fen Drayton
Charlotte Dodson, servant, 15, b Swavesey