Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Waterbeach
  • Back Forward
Black and white woodcut drawing of a small thatched cottage with a tall tree in front and a path leading to the doorway.

John Denson Cottage, demolished 1953

John Denson’s cottage, Primrose Lane, Waterbeach

History of John Denson's cottage

John Denson, born at the end of the 18th century, was a market gardener. His business was successful and he used his money to help less fortunate villagers. he wrote many letters to the newspapers on the subject of rural poverty. In 1830 this letters were brought together to form a boon entitled ‘A Peasant’s Voice to Landowners.” His cottage at the end of Primrose Lane cost £40 and was made from 1,000 homemade clay blocks.

The cottage was demolished in 1953.

Projects

  • Waterbeach

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Waterbeach

Denny (Denney) Abbey, Ely Road, Waterbeach

15 Chapel Street, Waterbeach

Ashtree House, Greenside, Waterbeach

16 Cambridge Road, The Victorian School, Waterbeach

7 Chapel Street, The Sun Inn, Waterbeach

Romano-British Settlement, Chittering

6 Chapel Street, Waterbeach

8 Chapel Street, Vicarage, Waterbeach

Pumping windmill, Waterbeach

The Farmland Museum, Waterbeach