Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Museum of Cambridge
  • /
  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Back Forward
Black and white shot of a stone building with a large central arched feature, tiled roof, and various rectangular windows.

Denny abbey, central crossing of Benedictine church (Religious Houses of Cambs, 1988)

Denny (Denney) Abbey, Ely Road, Waterbeach

History of Denny Abbey

Listed building:

Benedictine abbey church remains c.1150; later C12 and C13 additions by Knights Templars. Converted to Franciscan nunnery in C14 by the Countess of Pembroke (d.1377), and farmhouse after the Dissolution with further C18 and C19 alterations.

Refectory of Franciscan nunnery c.1340

Rebuilt C16 and C17, and west wall C17 and C18. Converted before 1730 to an eight-bayed barn with thatched roof.

Aisled barn. C17. Reused medieval limestone ashlar blocks and gault brick.

Architectural floor plan drawing of Denney Abbey showing the layout of the church, cloister, and refectory in the 14th century.

Denny Abbey as in the 14th century

‘For Her Good Estate‘ by Frances A Underhill (2020) describes the friendship of Elizabeth de Burgh and Mary de St Pol. Mary exercised control over the nunneries at Denny and at Waterbeach. The Waterbeach community she eventually relocated to Denny.


Denny is a small island of high ground surrounded by low historically waterlogged land. Archaeologists have found fragments of Roman pottery and a raised earth track. This a suggests a farm in Roman times. Rubbish pits and grinding stones from this time have been found.

Sometime before 1159 a church dedicated to St James and St Leonard was built at Denny by one Robert, Chamberlain to Duke Conan 4th of Brittany. It was first lived in by Benedictines from Ely, but in 1170 the priory was transferred to the Knights Templar. In the early 13th century it became a hospital exclusively for the old and inform members of the Order. The templars built a separate small house adjoining the house.  They also construacted many of the earthworks, ponds and water channels.When the order was suppressed in 1308, ten or eleven brethren were arrested here.

In 1327 Denny Abbey was given to the Countess of Pembroke. It was not reoccupied until 1339 when Mary de Valence, the Countess of Pembroke, moved the Franciscan Order of Minoresses, known as the Poor Clares, from Waterbeach to Denny. She built a new large church and refectory for the nuns. She put a floor into the original church and joined the separate Templar priest house into the building with a two-storey extension. This enabled the older church to be converted into domestic quarters for herself and also guest accommodation.

At the time of the Dissolution there were 35 nuns. The estate was sold to Edward Elrington. In the 16th century most buildings were destroyed but the nave of the church was converted into a barn. Because part of the building had been converted in the 12th cent to a high status dwelling, this part survived as a farmhouse.

Between 1830 and 1854 the Abbey was leased to the Witt family. John George Witt was born in 1836 and lived at the Abbey until the age of 14. He recalled the Irish who came during the harvest to work. They cooked outside and slept in the barns.


1647

A rectangular grey stone plaque featuring carved 17th-century lettering detailing the charitable will of Elizabeth Knight.

Elizabeth Knight, Denny Abbey, 1647 (MoC)

Text:

ELIZABETH KNIGHT LAR OF DENNEY ABBEY BY HER LAST WILL DATED 18 OF MAY ????? 1647 & RECORDED IN Y PREROGATIVE COURT OF CANTERBUREY DID NOT ONLY GIVE THESE 6 HOUSES WITH £18 P ANNU TO BE EQUALLY DIVIDED AMONGST THOSE THAT SHALL INHABIT THEM BUT ALSO £160 TO THE CORPORATION OF CAMBRIDGE TO BE LENT GRATIS TO EIGHT YOUNG TRADESMEN ACCORDING TO HER SAID WILL


Black and white engraving showing a stone building with arched windows, a coat of arms, and text at the top and bottom.

Denny Abbey refectory 1730 (Buck Brothers)

A pen and ink drawing of the east side of Denny Abbey showing stone arches, gothic windows, and multi-story gabled rooflines.

Denny Abbey 12th cent church in 1773 (James Essex)

The 1773 sketch shows the first floor window inserted in the crossing (14th cent) that enabled the occupant to watch services in the nuns’ church.


1841 census: Denny Abbey

James Witt, 40, farmer

Sarah, 35,

Adelisa, 6,

John, 4,

George, 2,

Gertrude, 7 ms,

Jane Houston, 20, governess,

Sarah Covile, 20, servant,

Charles Spicer, 30, servant

Thomas Mansfield, 50, ag. lab.

In 1861 the Witt family are occupying the Manor House, Swaffham Prior. exactly which Manor House is uncertain.


1851 Denny Abbey

John Wyatt, 54, Ag bailiff, b Southey

Elizabeth, 44, b Pidley

Mark, 14, b Pidley

Jonathan Howel, lodger, 28, b Southey


1861 Denny Abbey

Henry Wiles, 56, farmer 594 acres employing 25 men and 10 boys, b Southoe

Sarah, 42, b Landbeach

Katharine J, 1, b Swavesey

Alice Sarah, b Swavesey

Annette Laura, 11, b Swavesey

Anna Maria N Rowbottom, 29, governess, b London

Susan M S Crocke, 19, b Soham

Ann Clark, 21, servant, b Burwell

Mary Ann Nottage, 20, servant, b Bottisham


1871

Henry Wiles, 56, farmer of 594 acres employing 22 men and 6 boys, b Southam

Sarah, 52,

Katharine Joanna, 26,

Alice Sarah, 24,

Mary Dever, 22, servant, b Suffolk

Mary Waites, 68, b Willingham


1881

Richard Toller, 53, farmer of 600 acres employing 15 men and 8 boys, b Lapley Hunts

Sarah, 40, b Cambridge

Sarah, 11, b Trumpington

Edith, 9, b Trumpington

Lucy, 6, b Waterbeach

Mabel R, 2, b Waterbeach

Louisa M Lovell, governess, 25, b Huntingdon

Martha Coulson, 20, b Cottenham

Amelia Butler, 17, b Cottenham

Julia Leach, 16, b Warerbeach


1883

William Dimock became tenant then later bought the farm.


1891 Denny Abbey

Edward Dimock, head, 51, farmer, b Stretham

Matilda, 47, b Stretham

John, 21, b Downham

Sarah, 20, b Wicken

Claud, 19, dental student, b Wicken

Gertrude, 16, b Stretham

Florence, 13, b Stretham

Roger, 10, b Stretham

Charles Cudworth, head, 40, agricultural labourer, b Waterbeach

Elizabeth, 39, b Cottenham

George Edmond, 15, agricultural labourer, b Waterbeach

Beatrice Elsie, 14, b Waterbeach

David Charles, 11, b Waterbeach

Ernest James, 8, b Waterbeach

Amelia Ellen, 7, b Waterbeach

Elizabeth Sarah, 5, b Waterbeach

Emma Eliza, 5, b Waterbeach

William Thomas, 4mos, b Waterbeach


1891

Edward Dimock, head, 51, farmer, b Stretham

Matilda, 47, b Stretham

John, 21, b Downham

Sarah, 20, b Wicken

Claud, 19, dental student, b Wicken

Gertrude, 16, b Stretham

Florence, 13, b Stretham

Roger, 10, b Stretham


1901

John Charles Dimock, head, 32, farmer, b Downham

Sarah Elizabeth, 30, b Wicken

Charles Cudworth, head, 50, foreman at farm,  b Waterbeach

Elizabeth, 49, b Cottenham

Ernest James, 19, labourer, b Waterbeach

Emma Eliza, 13, b Waterbeach


1911

John Charles Dimock, 42, farmer, b Downham

Elizabeth Geraldine Miriam, 26, wife, b Scotland

Edward Millar, 6, b Waterbeach

Humphrey Roger, 4, b Waterbeach

John Robert, 3, b Waterbeach

Elizabeth Blanche Mervyn, 1.5, b Waterbeach

Suzanne Alice Marie Yang, visitor, 25, b France

Emily Jane Merryweather, 33, cook, b Hadstock

Violet Primula Watts, 25, nurse, b Waterbeach


1928

The Dimocks sold the land to Pembroke College. Chivers, the jam makers became tenants until the Second World War. During WWII Italian prisoners worked at the farm. After the war the site was taken over by the government to protect it. The farm wa sold off separately to the Martins who were farmers at Littleport.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Abbey

Two pointed stone archways and a smaller, narrow arched doorway set into a weathered, uneven limestone wall of a ruin.

Refectory windows, Denny Abbey

A historic stone and brick building with a tiled roof and a stepped gable end stands next to a single leafless tree.

Denny Abbey, rom the south (Religious Houses of Cambs, 1988)

An exterior view of a weathered stone building featuring a large, tall stone arch and a prominent, weathered engaged column.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

Weathered stone wall with patches of plaster, featuring recessed arched niches containing slender carved columns and capitals.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

A mottled, light-brown ceramic jar and a fragment of green-glazed, ridged roof tile are displayed with numbered labels.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

A weathered, rounded stone sculpture of a stylized feline head featuring deeply carved eyes and horizontal whisker lines.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

A rough, weathered stone block featuring the faint, carved relief of a human face within a narrow alcove.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

Stone wall interior with exposed timber roof beams, round-arched windows, a central doorway, and lower arched openings.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

A recessed, weathered brick fireplace set into an exposed, rough brick wall, featuring a black cast-iron grate and hearth.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

Interior view of a stone building with an exposed timber roof structure and horizontal beams spanning an empty floor space.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

A view looking up through the arched stone ruins of a medieval building showing thick masonry walls and exposed timber beams.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

A weathered stone carving of a human face with wide, circular eyes set into the base of a pillar against a rough wall.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

A large stone hearth with a heavy wooden lintel contains a black fireplace, metal cooking pots, and a side table with bowls.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

A raised wooden walkway passes through the stone arches of a derelict building interior with overhead timber rafters.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

A triangular pottery shard with blue floral patterns and yellow highlights displayed behind glass with the label number 6.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

Stone and brick building with a tiled roof behind a low stone wall, with several people walking on the grass in front.

Denny Abbey (RGL2024)

Interior of a stone building with an exposed timber roof, featuring two arched windows and a small arched doorway in the wall.

Denny Abbey, refectory (RGL2024)

The refectory was built by the Countess of Pembroke circa 1350. The floor was made of tiles. After the Dissolution, 1539, the building was used for hundreds of years to store grain. Parts of the building were rebuilt in brick.

Interior of a stone building with bare masonry walls, arched windows, an exposed timber roof, and a worn tile floor.

Denny Abbey, refectory (RGL2024)

The weathered stone wall of a building with a large corrugated roof features a bricked-up window and an arched stone doorway.

Denny Abbey, refectory (RGL2024)

Black and white line drawing of a long, single-story row of cottages with four dormer windows and a picket fence in the foreground.

Farm cottages at Denny Abbey, now demolished (Denis Cheason)

Tags

  • Listed building
  • medieval
  • Religious House

Projects

  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Waterbeach

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Museum Exhibit Stories

The Old Manse, Fowlmere

10 Frogge Street, The Hovells, Ickleton

16 – 22 South Brink, Wisbech

21 Doric Street, Cambridge

9 – 17, (121 – 129) Fitzroy Street

Royston Data

17 James Street, Cambridge

341 Newmarket Road, Headly and Edward’s Iron Foundry

Caxton Data

Heffers of Cambridge – known all over the world

Brewhouse Lane, East Road, Cambridge

Barnwell Abbey Schools, 31 River Lane

20 Newmarket Road, Christ Church Villas