Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Wendy
  • Back Forward
Ornate timber hammer-beam roof with panels featuring intricate stencilled floral designs and inscribed text above a stone arch.

Wendy, church roof c.1950 (photo F J Bywaters) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

All Saints, Wendy

History of All Saints

A stone church with a steeply pitched tiled roof, a bell gable, and an arched entrance porch under a cloudy sky.

Wendy church (photo W M Palmer) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

The original medieval church was replaced because of its ruinous condition in 1737 by a small plain building with no chancel. This building was poorly furnished and also started to collapse.

A new Wendy church was built in 1867 and utilised the double hammer beam roof brought there from the old Church of All Saints, Cambridge, which had been demolished in 1865.

In 1950 the roof was acquired by by N A Huddleston. He was offered the timbers as fire wood on the grounds that the foundations made the building unsafe. (CDN 8/4/1950) The church was then pulled down.

Tags

  • church

Projects

  • Wendy

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Wendy

Holy Trinity, Bottisham

St Mary’s church, Over

St John the Evangelist – Parish Magazine Archive 1909

Wendy

Wendy Lodge