Search by topic
Search by text
The Guildhall, Whittlesford
History of the Guildhall
Guildhall, converted to several cottages and now one dwelling. Late C15 or early C16, with C19 alterations, restored 1967. Timber-framed with plaster infill; hipped plain tiled roof. Rear chimney stack. Two storeys. Four equal timber-framed bays jettied to south-west and south-east elevations; main entrance in second bay from left hand, and first floor entrance, to rear of first bay.
Enid Porter writes in Cambridgeshire Customs and Folklore p.18:
In 1723 William Westley left a bequest for the foundation of a school at Whittlesford for the education of thirty boys and fifteen girls between the ages of 5 and 14 whose parents earned no more than £20 a year.