Elsworth Place (site of 159 Hills Road)
159 Hills Road, Rathmore
Historical notes on 159 Hills Road
Mary E Jolley, 47,
John A B
Lily Mitchell, servant, 19, cook, born London
Alice Haynes, 17, housemaid, born Cambridge
Mary Elizabeth Jolley, head, 57, private means, born Chesterton
Ellen Jolley, sister, 54, private means, born Cambridge
Emmeline Jolley, sister, 41, private means, born Cambridge
John Andrew Benjamin Jolley, nephew 15, school, born Ireland
Sarah Anna Hunt, servant, 22, cook. born Little Wilbraham
Lizzie Ann Philips, servant, 18, housemaid, born Bourn
This house was built by ‘The Cambridge furniture broker’ Benjamin Jolley in 1891. He owned a large amount of land; he had extensive gardens and a farm between Cherryhinton Road and the far side of what was to be Rathmore Road. His house was surrounded by lawns and a formal flower garden; he also had vineries and a lawn tennis court. In 1911 the house was in the names of the Misses Jolley.
The house was demolished in order to build Elsworth Place.
Early 19th maps, in particular the 1830 and 1836 OS maps of Cambridge clearly show a large house and garden at this same location called Hinton Cottage. It seems likely that Benjamin Jolley acquired this plot but it is unclear how much of the original house he preserved or extended.
The Cambridge Chronicle of 25th May 1832 has this advert:
Hinton Cottage Hills Road, To be let, and entered upon immediately, Situate on the Hills Road, One mile distant from Cambridge, a small pleasant house, with flower garden in front, and large kitchen garden at the back, well planted with fruit trees; stable and chaise-house. Also six acres of land, with large barn and other buildings, if required. Enquire of the the proprietor, Mr Headly, Hobson’s street.
Sources: Cambridge News (Cambridgeshire Collection), British Newspaper Archive