A collection of historical notes about Cavendish Avenue
The name of the road came from that of Cavendish College, which was built during the period 1876-1891. The college was opened officially in 1889 by Lord Hartington but its fortunes had already declined and the premises were acquired by Homerton College in 1894.
The ownership of the Cavendish Estate on which Cavendish and Hills Avenues were built was in the name of Franks Waters from 1883. In May 1906 he was charged by Chesterton for work which they decided he should have carried out on the two roads in the way of paving, leveling and channeling. This amounted to £1146 for Cavendish, and £50 for Hills, Waters lived at the time at 56 Hills Road. Waters had used Edward Hammond, banker of Newmarket, to acquire £7500 to buy the land, and a further £2000 for improvements.
Those residents of Cavendish Avenue who served in the military or as volunteers during World War are listed here:
Residents of the road have included:
Paul Dirac (no.7) physicist
Sources: Cambridge News (Cambridgeshire Collection), UK census, Ancestry UK, Red Cross