71 Hartington Grove
71 Hartington Grove, Loisvale, The Research Hospital
History of the Research Hospital hartington Grove
Aron Berry, widower, 60, builder, born Cambridge
Bertha, daughter, 22, commercial clerk, born Cambridge
Daisy, daughter, 18, born Cambridge
Arthur Ernest William Payne, 39, accountant, born London
Louisa Ann Payne, 35, born Essex
Arthur Richard , 5, born Essex
Frank Harold, 2, born Essex
Louisa Gladys, 11 months, born London
Mary Ann Nickolls, month in law, visitor, 72, widow, born London
Elsie Meadmore, servant 25, born London
Loisvale, in 1982 no.71 (previously 77) has an interesting history. Alfred Jones and his wife Eliza inherited the land from C B Miller who died in 1876. The land was formerly known by the name of Younton Field. Their house was sold at auction in 1904 at the Lion Hotel and bought by Edwin Gamlen for £600.
The Research Hospital was set up by Dr T S P Strangeways in 1905 to study rheumatoid arthritis and related diseases. He found a matron who gave her services free and various doctor friends agreed to work on a similar basis. They were called the Committee for the Study of Special Diseases.
In 1905 it had two wards, each with three beds and the coal shed was converted into a laboratory. Patients were not charged but most gave a donation on being discharged. One patient was Mary Rossetti, sister of the Victorian poet, Christina Rossetti.
In 1905 the annual cost of the project was £500 including £256 for upkeep of the hospital but by 1908 funds were exhausted and the hospital closed. It reopened in 1909 but around this time it was decided that bigger premises were needed for the project to be viable. In 1912 the new Research Hospital was opened in Wort’s Causeway.
Later residents at Loisvale found traces of the hospital in the form of tiny drawing pin marks on the door. Drawing pins had secured cards with the patients’ names to the rooms which were used as wards.
East end of Hartington Grove 1927
Sources: Cambridge News (Cambridgeshire Collection), History of the Strangeways Research Laboratory, E.D.Strangeways 1962