Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

The Priory Nursing Home, (The Priory Grange) (Sun House) 51 Newmarket Road, Crown Brewery

History of 51 Newmarket Road

1731:

A fire destroyed many properties in Barnwell but the Priory Grange survived.

………..

From 1850s: Crown Brewery occupied by William Wilkes Featherstonehaugh. This brewery supplied over 35 public houses rom Isleham to the north-west. William Featherstonehaugh died in 1880 and the brewery and public houses were sold. The family continued to at Sun House which became the Priory Nurses Home.

…………

1901: The Priory Grange

William K Bird, 49, vinegar brewer, mustard and potted meat manufacturer, b Cambridge

Maria R, 41, b Cambridge

Martin W K, 11, b Cambridge

Cecily M, 10, b Cambridge

Colin K, 8, b Cambridge

Angus K, 7, b Cambridge

Barbara R, 5, b Cambridge

Geoffrey W K, 3, b Cambridge

Emmeline Foley, 26, mothers help, b London

Florence L Oakey, 23, cook, b Ely

Beatrice Negus, 23, housemaid, b Fen Ditton

Zellah Laberton, 16, nurse, b Little Downham

……….

1913:

The Priory Nursing Home, Miss Lamb matron

…………

1960: old house demolished to make way for Cambridge Evening news premises.

………….

1962:

Cambridge Newspapers Ltd

Jn M Eyles

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.