Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Queen Edith's Cambridge
  • /
  • Holbrook Road
  • Back Forward
A white Holbrook Road sign with black lettering stands in a grassy area near a grey street pole, with a road in the distance.

Photo RGL 2016

Holbrook/Holbroke Road, Cambridge

History of Holbrook Road

Holbrook Road appears on the 1920  map of Cambridge as an unnamed lane that stretches from Hills Road for about half of its final length. One mid twentieth edition of the OS map of Cambridge spells the road Holbroke as does the 1935 Cambridge Directory. It is said that the spelling of ‘Holbrook’ was determined circa 1960.

The origin of the road’s name lies in the association of the parish of Cherry Hinton with John Holbrook (d. 1437), master of Peterhouse, Cambridge.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Holbrook,_John_(DNB00)

In 1431 Holbrook resigned the mastership of Peterhouse, having been instituted the year before to the college vicarage of [Cherry] Hinton. He died there on 12th July 1437 and was buried in the chancel of St Mary the Less, the old college chapel of Peterhouse.

Projects

  • Holbrook Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Holbrook Road

16 Holbrook Road

32 Holbrook Road

72a Holbrook Road

49 Holbrook Road

33 Holbrook Road

22 Holbrook Road

61 Holbrook Road

30 Holbrook Road

68 Holbrook Road

74 Holbrook Road, Cambridge