141A York Street
Mission Hall Workers
This house no longer stands. The 1888 Cambridge Town Plan and the 1910 Land Tax both refer to this part of York Street as “Lower York Street”.
There is no record of 141A on any census before 1911.
1910 Land Tax
The odd numbered properties, 129 – 151 (Lower) York Street, all appear on the 1910 Land Tax owned by a Mrs M C Sheldrick who lived at 151 Chesterton Road.
Mary Catherine Sheldrick (1850 – 11 September 1922) was married to Joseph Albert Sheldrick, a Superindendent for the Post Office.
George Spaxman is the tenant named on the Land Tax document. The electoral rolls record that he moved here around 1908, and previously lived at 74 York Street. The family is here until 1923.
On the 1911 Census, George records that he and his wife Betsy have been married for thirty years and have no children. Under occupation he writes “helper” for himself and “caretaker Mission Hall” for Betsy. The Mission Hall is probably St Columba’s that also stood on Lower York Street where St Matthew’s Piece is now.
Sources: 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911 UK Census, 1888 Cambridge Town Plan, 1910 Land Tax, Civil Registration Birth Index (1837-1915), Civil Registration Death Index (1916-2007), Cambridgeshire Electoral Registers, Burgess Rolls and Poll Books (1722-1966),