151 York Street
The Farrington Family
This house no longer stands. The 1888 Cambridge Town Plan and the 1910 Land Tax both refer to this part of York Street as “Lower York Street”.
This property does not appear on any census prior to 1911.
The Cambridge Independent Press for the 24th August 1894 runs a public notice announcing that “Desirable freehold properties” including “Nos. 129, 130, 132, 134, 136, 138, 131, 133, 135, 137, 143, 145, 147, 149 & 151 Lower York Street” are to be sold by Auction.
Between 19th January until 2 February, the resident of 151 York Street posts this advert in the papers: “For Sale – a good working machine, suitable for Tailor, any kind of work.”
1910 Land Tax
The odd numbered properties, 129 – 151 (Lower) York Street, all appear on the 1910 Land Tax owned by a Mrs M C Sheldrick who lived at 151 Chesterton Road.
Mary Catherine Sheldrick (1850 – 11 September 1922) was married to Joseph Albert Sheldrick, a Superindendent for the Post Office.
George Farrington is the tenant named on the Land Tax document.
1911 – 1919
George Farrington, 63, labourer at the gas works,
Annie Farrington, 62,
Richard Farrington, 32, labourer at the gas works,
James Farrington, 25, labourer for a builder,
Robert Farrington, 13, school,
George and Annie have been married for 38 years and have had eleven children. Three of them have since died.
“Welcome Home. Prisoners of War and Relatives Entertained… Invitations has been sent out to between 803 and 900 men, the great majority of whom assembled on Parker’s Piece and marched thence to the Guildhall, where they were welcomed by the Lord Lieutenant, the Mayor, and the Vice-Chancellor.”
One of the men was Private J. Farrington (12th Suffolk Regiment), of 131 York Street. Cambridge Independent Press 17 January 1919
Sources: 1910 Land Tax, Civil Registration Birth Index (1837-1915), Civil Registration Death Index (1916-2007), 1888 Cambridge Town Plan, Cambridgeshire Electoral Registers, Burgess Rolls and Poll Books (1722-1966), Cambridge Independent Press 24 Aug 1894, Cambridge Independent Press 17 January 1919,