Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • The Kite
  • /
  • East Road
  • Back Forward
A brick corner public house called The Falcon has Whitbread signage, arched windows with ladders, and a car parked on the right.

The Falcon, East Road, (MoC29/71)

The Falcon (The Waggon and Horses), 170 East Road, Cambridge

History of the Falcon

Originally built as The Waggon and Horses this building has had many names over the years.


1908 03 05

The Waggon and Horses on the corner of Burleigh Street and East already held a music licence. They had a commodious room capable of holding 50 people which they wished to use for public dancing once a week. But the Chief Constable said it was in an awkward part of Cambridge. A lot of people visited the house and it would not be well to offer further facilities. The licensee had his hands full in looking after the pub as it was at present. also Nags Head, Albion Row; Spotted Cow, Northampton St; Carpenter’s Arms, King Street. 08 03 05 a & b

Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge Burleigh Street Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, ref. 08 03 05 a & b.


1913 Waggon and Horses

Thomas S Lunn


1924

The Falcon (public house).


1939 The Falcon

Victor J Benton


1985

The Bird in Hand (pub and live music venue).


2004

The Vine (wine bar).


2009

The Snug (cocktail bar and restaurant).


2020s

The Six Six Bar (live music venue specialising in the heavier end of the market).

A corner brick building on a street intersection has a red door, black-painted ground floor, and signs for The Six Six bar.

Six Six Bar, 170 East Road, 2026

A brown brick building features large murals of two playing cards and the words THE SIX SIX painted on its side wall.

170 East Road Cambridge (RGL2026)

Brick building at 170 East Road with black painted lower walls, The Six Six signage, and bicycles parked at metal racks.

170 East Road Cambridge (RGL2026)

A corner brick building in Cambridge with a dark grey ground floor, red trim, and signs for The Six Six music venue and bar.

170 East Road Cambridge (RGL2026)

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • East Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

East Road

Three Horseshoes farmhouse, Weston Colville

The Hole in the Wall, Little Wilbraham

Three Horseshoes, Dry Drayton

44 East Road, Cambridge

64 East Road, Cambridge

148 East Road, Cambridge

168 East Road, Cambridge

Baptist Cemetery

81 East Road, Cambridge

6 East Road, Cambridge

169 East Road, cambridge

70 & 71 East Road, George IV, Cambridge

97 East Road