Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • The Kite
  • /
  • East Road
  • Back Forward

80 East Road, The Turnstile, Cambridge

History of 80 East Road

1913

James Hobbs, proprietor

14 March 1913
Lacons brewers applied for the renewal of the licence for the Turnstile on East Road. This was a small cottage before it became a licensed house. It had been in the same family for over 40 years and the tenant, James Hobbs was anxious to continue. The pub was near the tram terminus and when people were waiting for the trams they did so in his house. He got a good lot of customers and sold a good deal of wine.
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, reference 13 03 14 p8 CIP.

10 July 1920
Public houses considered for closure – Victoria, Barrington; Guilden Morden Pig & Whistle, Cherry Hinton Hopbine, Castle Camps George & Dragon, Linton Axe & Saw, King Street Boot, Chesterton High Street Indian Chief, Newnham Road Tally Ho, East Road Turnstile, Gwydir Street Dew Drop
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, reference 1920 07 10.

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Projects

  • East Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

East Road

186 East Road

52 East Road, Cambridge

121 East Road, Cambridge

9 South Cottage, 10, 11, 12, 13 Meobury House, East Road

Wellington House, East Road, Cambridge

145, 146, 147 East Road, Cambridge

33 East Road, Cambridge

134 East Road, Cambridge

51 East Road, Cambridge

104 East Road