Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
St Neots Paper Mill, Little Paxton (J Phillips undated)

St Neots Paper Mill, Little Paxton

History of St Neots Paper Mill

The site of the paper mill at Little Paxton is almost certainly that of Okestubbe Mill,  the medieval corn-grinding mill belonging to the monks from St Neots Priory.  In 1799 the mill was acquired by Ousley Rowley, who was building up his St Neots estate, rebuilt and let to Mr Hobson of Eaton Socon.

St Neot’s Paper Mill, Little Paxton OS 1889

The Spa, St Neots Paper Mill c.1895

In the 19th century a mineral water spring was discovered near the Paper Mills. A well was created and an outlet known as The Spa. This opened in 1895 with a procession of decorated boats. The bottled water was sold as ‘Neotia.’

View from Spa at the Paper Mills, St Neots, c.1890, with Haling Way, old towpath.

Fire at the Paper Mills, St Neots, 1912

 

 

Tags

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

License

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0