Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Manor Farm Arbury Road 1901 OS Map

Manor Farm, Arbury Road

History of Manor Farm

The Wright family circa 1891

1891:

Thomas Wright, 65, land agent valuer auctioneer farmer, b Upwell Cambs

[Thomas and Elizabeth Jane died at 113 Chesterton Road in 1898; in 1881 the family were at Sylfield House, Bateman Street; ]

Elizabeth, 60, b Upwell Norfolk

Annie Hopkins, daughter, 30, b Fulbourn

Mary Jane, 29, b Fulbourn

Arthur, 27, solicitor, b Fulbourn

Emma Wiltshire, 19, servant, b Abington Piggots

Sarah Christmas, 17, housemaid, b Sutton

See Mill Road Cemetery entry

 

Alfred Clark, 56, gardener, b Fulbourn

 

Richard Brete, 30, ag.lab., b Borough Green

 

Edwin Smith, 26, cowman, b Swaffham Prior

 

Samuel Knight, 35, shepherd, b Burwell

 

Joseph Burton, 50, ag.lab., b Shelford

 

Edward Mansfield, 26, ag.lab., b Chesterton

…………………

From Wikipedia entry on North Cambridge Academy:

The school was built as Manor School around 1959 based on a design by the architects W. Doig and M.R. Francis and, at that time, was a flagship school in Cambridge City. The school was named after Manor Farm which was in the area and was owned by Cambridgeshire County Council, who bought the farm in 1909 from the Benson family of Chesterton hall. The Council split the farm into smallholdings, and the name of one of the smallholders, William Downham, is commemorated in a nearby road called Downham’s Lane.

 

 

Tags

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.