Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Museum of Cambridge
  • /
  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Back Forward
A tall, weathered grey metal water pump stands against a cream brick wall next to potted plants on a stone-paved courtyard.

Headly and Manning water pump from 1853 (MoC)

341 Newmarket Road, Headly and Edward’s Iron Foundry

History of 341 Newmarket Road

In 1852 the Headly brothers dissolved their partnership running the Eagle Foundry off Mill Road. Edward Headly set up an ironmongery business in Corn Exchange Street. This was carried on by his son who built a foundry in Newmarket Road. In 1885 the firm became Headly and Edwards; it ceased business in 1934.

Oval metal plaque on a dark, weathered post reads Headly & Manning, Engineers, 1853, Cambridge, partially obscured by a plant.

Headly and Manning 1853 (MoC)

1913

Headley and Edward’s Iron Foundry

1962 not listed

Tags

  • iron foundry

Projects

  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Newmarket Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Museum Exhibit Stories

290 High Street, Lack’s House, Cottenham

The Eagle Foundry, Mill Road

Estate of Sabine Hubert / Tenement of William Dak / Thompson’s Lane Brewery / Iron foundry

Foster’s Boat Houses

Magdalene Street

167, Bahia Cottage, Gwydir Street

93 Sedgwick Street, Cambridge

Burleigh House, Star Brewery, 13, 14, 15 Newmarket Road

20 Newmarket Road, Christ Church Villas

16, 17, 18, True Blue Yard, Hobson Street

The Orchard, Huntingdon Road, Cambridge

documents

Linton Data

Sawston Aerated Water Company