Search by topic
Search by text
Marshalls Cambridge Airport
History of Cambridge Airport
The airport was opened in 1938 and is now owned by the Marshall Group.
There is a Wikipedia entry.
The airport control and office is a Listed Building.
Airport office building, formerly control, club and terminal building. 1938. By AGG Marshall for his own firm, Marshall of Cambridge (Engineering) Ltd. Render, probably on brick, with parapeted flat roof. Modern style. Single storey with 2-storey centre. Entrance front is an 8-window range of metal casements of 2, 3, and 4 lights. On first floor are two 4-light casements either side the central section of the front which breaks forward. Here a large tripartite window of metal casements over a flat entrance canopy supported on thin metal stanchions. Oak glazed double doors with similar side panels. Front facing the airfield is a 19-window range with in addition a square bay to right and a semicircular 2-storey bay to centre, windows mostly with metal casements. On the first floor only part breaks forward to the bay and here there are corner windows. Further casements to the first floor. Ground floor has three part-glazed doors. INTERIOR. Entrance hall has staircase which leads to gallery with open wooden balustrade. Room with bay window reported as being originally the club lounge and having panelling. A rare and little altered example of an interwar airport control, club and terminal building.