The Moat Newmarket Road
Paper Mills, The Moat, Newmarket Road
History of Paper Mills, Newmarket Road
Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: it was built early in the 18th century and consists of a long rectangular range at right angles to the Newmarket Road. Alterations were made early in the 19th century and subsequently a wing and various small additions were built on the E. The mill adjoining on the N, presumably a rebuilding of an older mill, is dated 1871. Fuller writing in 1662 says paper was made here ‘in memory of our fathers’. Subsequently it seems to have been used as a flour mill until affected by reduction in the flow of the brook resulting from extraction by the Waterworks Company who bought the freehold.
A B Gray, Cambridge Revisited, noted in 1921 the attractive garden here. He writes that the old building had been used as a flour mill until the water supply was interrupted.
1913: The Moat
Francis George Blandford
(a) Hector Chadwick, b 1870, professor of Anglo Saxon
Hector Munro Chadwick, Paper Mills Newmarket Road
Norah Kershaw, b 1891
Nora Kershaw Chadwick, Paper Mills Newmarket Road
Sarkis Topalian, b 1892, lecturer School of Oriental Studies
Satenik, b 1896
Sylvia, b 1925
May, b 1928
1950s: house was lived in by Nan Youngman and Betty Rea.
Betty Rea was an acquaintance of Desmond Bernal; she created the statue of the three bronze swimmers outside Cambridge’s Parkside swimming pool. She taught at Homerton College between 1949 and 1964.
Betty Rea (Homerton College)
The Swimmers by Betty Rea
1962: Paper Mills