Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

3 Green Street

History of 3 Green Street

1662

Thomas Holcroft was deprived of his Fellowship of Clare College on account of his Puritan principles. He started to form assemblies of other dissenters and one of these was at the home of a Mrs Petit in St Michael’s Parish, possible at this location in Green Street.

See Green Street

1688

On the site of the houses numbered 5,4, and 3 stood an old Independent Chapel, dating back to 1688, generally known as the Old Green Street Meeting House, but later referred to Stittle’s Chapel, after the Rev John Stittle, who served his congregation here from 1781 until his death.

1851

(unnumbered) Charles Thrott Green, 35, carpenter, b Chesterton

1861

Frederick Vinton, 44, copperplate engraver, b London

Mary, 47, sister, housekeeper, b London

…………….

1913

Mrs L Lambeth, lodging house keeper


1962

George Strickland & Sons, tailors


2018

Modish

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.