Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Castle Cambridge
  • /
  • Northampton Street
  • Back Forward
A corner building with a brick ground floor and rendered upper floor, set at a junction with a street lamp and pale buildings.

19 Northampton Street

19 Northampton Street, The Borough Boy, St Giles Parish workhouse

History of 19 Northampton Street

Cambridge Revisited refers to a pub here at the end of the 19th century by the name of Borough Boy. This area of Cambridge was known as the Borough, and its residents as Borough Boys. The building was originally three cottages. The back yard of the workhouse became known as Gentle’s Yard.

St Giles Parish Workhouse. CWN 17.12.1981 writes: Before 19 Northampton Street became the Borough Boy it was the workhouse of St Giles’s parish for more than 30 years from the beginning of the 19th century. According to an article on parish workhouses from the proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society the workhouse stood in Bell Lane [Northampton Street] and consisted of six cottages, three in the front, since altered into a public house, known as the Borough Boy, and three in a Court [Gentle’s Yard], now standing.

Dr Stokes, who wrote the article on parish workhouses, said: There is an old lady living near, who well remembers the old St Giles’s Workhouse, and has vividly described to the writer the condition of affairs just before the reforms; the men, women and children huddled together, and loafing about in the court and streets; there was one man, mad and raving,  ‘like a wild beats’, who lay on straw in a barred room; there was a poor ‘silly woman’, Polly Sudbury, who roamed about in the neighbourhood. Two open privies were not a pleasant feature of the situation. The Workhouse Master, a Mr Bradbury, lived a little way off. There was considerable commotion when the paupers were removed to their new home on Mill Road (or rather to the temporary and classified Workhouses which were used until the erection of the central house.)


Borough Boy public house

A street scene showing The Spotted Cow public house on the left, a tall brick chimney in the distance, and a man standing right.

Northampton Street, Spotted Cow and Borough Boy (MoC93/52)


1913 –


1921

Walter Thomas Wayman was living here, lodging house for poor single men probably.


Northfields paint shop


1962

Edgar Jones

A two-storey brick building with a tiled roof, central arched doorway, and sash windows located on a street corner.

19 Northampton Street (MoC18/72)

Tags

  • institute
  • Listed building
  • Public House
  • workhouse

Projects

  • Northampton Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Northampton Street

Sedge Hall / The Ship

30 Bridge Street / The Peacock

43 Maids’ Causeway (9 Brunswick Place)

13 Northampton Street

Kettle’s Yard, Northampton Street

30 Northampton Street

26 Northampton Street, Madingley Road, Pythagoras House

9 Northampton Street

17 Northampton Street

16 Northampton Street

Brigg’s Court, Northampton Street

12 Northampton Street

37 Merton Place, Madingley Road, Northampton Street