Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • The Kite
  • /
  • East Road
  • Back Forward
Two white two-story buildings on East Road sit behind parked cars, with a large horse racing billboard on the right side.

153 – 154 East Road, April 1974 (MoC 604/74)

159, 158, 157, 156, 155, 154, 153 East Road

History of 157 - 159 East Road

Herbert Charles Coulson, a carpenter, started his business in Burleigh Street in 1884.

1889

Herbert Coulson took a partner William Lofts and they traded from 158 East Road, with a town office at 37 St Andrew’s Street. See Joseph Coulson.

Coulson’s did a lot of work in the south and east of England, and were responsible for some speculative work in Willis Road and Harvey Goodwin Avenue. They had a large joinery works in East Road.

Herbert Coulson died in 1921 and the firm became a private limited company.

W G James continued as managing director until his death in 1962. Circa 1960 a lot of early documents about the firm were discovered inn a long-forgotten deed box.


1937

A black-and-white view of a row of light-coloured terraced buildings on a street, with people walking on the pavement.

153 East Road, Pelican public house.

(153) Pelican Inn, John Child

(154) William J Marshall, music teacher

Coulson & Son Ltd


1962

(157 – 159) Coulson and Sons, builders depot (far left of picture)

(153 & 154) Ernest Bertie Stanley, beer retailer (white building in middle)

On the right is the entrance to what used to be Nelson Street.

Large posters on a decorative wall in front of a shed, with a car in the foreground, a cyclist, and a person on a ladder.

Coulson’s Yard, East Road, April 1974 (MoC 665/74) former slaughter house shed.

Projects

  • East Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

East Road

126 East Road, Cambridge

Territorial Army Drill Hall, East Road, Cambridge

183 East Road, Cambridge

68 East Road, Cambridge

55 East Road, Cambridge

93 East Road

82 East Road, Wheelwright’s Arms

16 East Road, Cambridge

91 East Road

7 East Road, Cambridge