Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • The Kite
  • /
  • East Road
  • Back Forward
Derelict brick buildings on East Road, including Peak's Furnishers and Cam Shoe Repair, featuring large advertising hoardings.

Peak’s Furnishers (183 East Road) and Cam Shoe Repair Service (184 East Road), 1980s, by Roy Hammans (the-golden-fleece.co.uk)

183 East Road, Cambridge

Former Tram Shed

183 East Road was a former tram shed that was used as a furniture repository until the 1960s and then lay unoccupied until taken over by Peak’s Furnishers in the 1970s.

The site was redeveloped in 1986 by the development company Idealistic into a restaurant, offices and shops.

The stables behind the tram shed opened as the Tram Depot pub in 1986.

(from East Road 1950 to now by Mary Burgess)

 

Tags

  • Roy Hammans

Projects

  • East Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

East Road

Eden Baptist Chapel, Cambridge

Waffles, 62 – 64 Fitzroy Street / 1 Gold Street, Cambridge

176 / 177 East Road, Baker’s Arms

111 East Road, Cambridge

160 & 161 East Road, Barnwell Coffee Palace / The White Ribbon Temperance Hotel

118 East Road

164 – 167 East Road

92 East Road

83 East Road, The Horse and Jockey

194 East Road

173 – 174 East Road

168 East Road, Cambridge

The Falcon (The Waggon and Horses), 170 East Road, Cambridge