Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • The Kite
  • /
  • Fitzroy Street
  • Back Forward
A man in a suit stands in the doorway of a brick shopfront featuring large display windows and painted promotional signage.

133 Fitzroy Street, Frank Suttle circa 1909

1 – 3, (133 – 134) Fitzroy Street

History of 133 - 134 Fitzroy Street

133 Fitzroy Street was the site of the first purpose built Methodist chapel in Cambridge when the the first society decided to move from a rented room at The Brazen George.

Early records are sparse but it is known that the builder was essentially one man, William Beacock, a plasterer, who had come to Cambridge to work on a college. He worked himself in his own time and erected the chapel. The Methodist Society members gave him free board and lodging and they all assisted him. After the chapel was finished Beacock became a missionary; eighteen months later in the West Indies he died.

The first Wesleyan minister in Cambridge worked at this chapel, Rev James Mole. ‘Cottage Meetings’ were held in various locations belonging to members and in time some of these became licensed as places of worship. One of these was Thomas Ewsden’s cottage in Girton in 1817. Then in 1818 the house of James Careless in Chesterton, and in 1821, also in Chesterton, the house of Thomas Brown.

In 1841 another location was licensed, William Bowmer’s house in Coronation Street, near the later chapel site in Hills Road.

Gipsy Smith discovered Methodism at this chapel. He recounted the story of how his father Cornelius and his two brothers Woodlock and Bartholomew, read the Pilgrim’s Progress and then attended Fitzroy Street Chapel.


1855

The Primitive Methodists purchased the chapel from the Wesleyans and it was re-opened for primitive Methodist work by Miss M C Buck, the most popular female preacher of that period.

The condition of the chapel declined however an the congregation moved the ‘Tabernacle’ in Newmarket Road in 1875.

The chapel was sold in 1877 and demolished.


An advertisement document showing sketches of a man in a suit and a woman in a coat and skirt, with tailor contact details.

133 Fitzroy Street, 1901

1913 (133-134)

Frank Suttle, tailor and hosier

Frank Suttle had premises in Fitzroy Street and at 50 Regent Street. He was a master tailor and was awarded 1st prize in 1909 at the Tailors Exhibition in London for fit, cut and style.

A man in a suit stands in the doorway of F. Suttle’s shop, which has display windows filled with signage and fabric samples.

Frank Suttle tailor, 133 Fitzroy Street Cambridge


A vintage invoice document for Peak's Furnishers in Cambridge, featuring a mountain-landscape header and a small attached slip.

Peak’s, 1 Fitzroy Street 1951

A tan paper document from Peaks Furnishers in Cambridge, with a business logo, handwritten transaction details, and a receipt.

Peak’s, 1 Fitzroy Street 1952

Orange-colored business order form from Peak's Furnishers with typed text and handwritten notes, featuring a small receipt.

Peak’s, 1 Fitzroy Street 1952


1962 (1 – 7)

Peake’s Furnishers Ltd

A street view showing shop fronts with large windows, upper-floor bay windows, and a cupola above the Laurie's department store.

Fitzroy Street 1970 (MoC 9/92/70)


In 1982 a new Eden Chapel was built here, to replace the chapel that became part of The Grafton Centre. Read more at https://eden-cambridge.org/about-us/a-history-of-eden.

A yellow-brick modern building with a conical grey roof and metallic canopy, entrance at street level with several pedestrians.

Eden Chapel, 1 Fitzroy Street (SJM 2026)

Tags

  • methodism

Projects

  • Fitzroy Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Fitzroy Street

1 (92) Norwich Street

Holy Cross, Yelling

Wesleyan Chapel, Hobson Street (Wall’s Lane)

57 Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

75 (96) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

104 (40) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

128 (52 & 52a) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

27, (116) Fitzroy Street

160 (67) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

(130) Fitzroy Street

130 (53) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

64 (20) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

Fitzroy Street / James Street 1980 Museum of Cambridge photo collection