Search by topic
Search by text
History of Green Street Cambridge
This was nearly all rebuilt 1820-1850 with plain brick houses on both sides. There are several original shop fronts.
1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge sates that:
Houses from end to end of the street, excepting no.10 are nearly all part of a single rebuilding scheme probably of the second quarter of the 19th cent. Nos. 8 and 9 which were older houses, have been largely, and nos. 14 to 20, 22 and 24, entirely, rebuilt since.
Green Street in 1910. On left is old entrance to Gifford Place.
Green Street in 1910. On the left, the old entrance to Gifford Place – the man is passing the property now replaced by Trinity College Hostel. Beyond, towards Sydney Street, was Stittles Chapel. On the right, the hanging sign shows the site of the chapel of 1819, later used by the Union Society and the Record Club. In the right foreground is the entrance to the old Angel Inn yard.