Search by topic
Search by text
Airship Beta II - Jesus Grove 1912
18 Jesus Lane, Crown Hotel
History of 18 Jesus Lane
Marshall of Cambridge (pub 1990) states that the business moved from King Street to Jesus Lane in 1912. The premises were leased from Jesus College; in 1912 Marshall mechanics assisted with repairs to an Army airship which had made a forced landing at Jesus Grove. This was the Company’s first contact with aviation.
See Marshall’s on-line history
1913: Crown Hotel
William Radford, cab and taxi proprietor
The Jesus Lane garage was devoted to servicing and repairing vehicles required for the war effort, including Rolls-Royce armoured cars and ambulances used for collecting the seriously wounded soldiers from the station on their return from France. David Marshall meanwhile had the war-time post of organising the catering at the Woolwich Arsenal where he had to provide over 24,000 meals a day for munitions workers.
(17 – 22) Marshall’s Cambridge