Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

4 Jesus Lane

History of 4 Jesus Lane

A wrought-iron gate that existed between nos. 4 and 5 in the shape of a scrolled wheel was made by one Audley.

1823:

John Jones the dentist started practising at this address where he lived until 1834.  He was dentist to Joseph Romilly. He later, by 1838, moved to 63 Trumpington Street.

1913:

Edward Hall, college servant

Rev. Pellew Arthur, formerly chaplain Trinity College

1941:

On the night of 27th July 1941  an HE bomb hit the parapet on no.3 Jesus Lane, richoceting on to the opposite wall before exploding in the basement of no.4 Jesus Lane. Scars caused by the fragmentation from these incidents may still be found on the wall opposite. (See Michael Bowyer Air Raid! pub. 1986)

1962: not listed

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.