Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • King Street
  • Back Forward
Stone building with Gothic-style arched windows, crenellated parapets, and corner pinnacles facing a street on a cloudy day.

Wesley Methodist Church, King Street

History of the Wesley Methodist Church King Street Cambridge

The church was built in 1913 by W H Gunton. Pevsner draws attention to the E window by Keith New 1964.

There is a Wikipedia entry about the church.


The congregation moved here in 1913 from temporary accommodation in the Victoria Rooms on Market Hill following the vacating of the Hobson Street Chapel in 1904.

A crowd gathers outside a stone church entrance in 1913, with people in formal attire and a flag flying on the left.

Opening of the new Wesley Church 1913 (Scott and Wilkinson)


1930s – 1950s:

HQ of 19th Cambridge Wesley Scout troop.

Tags

  • Boy Scouts
  • church
  • methodism
  • Scouting

Projects

  • King Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

King Street

Willingham Baptist Church

129 Chesterton Road, Scales Hotel, Portland Arms

44 Hawthorn Way

95 (69) King Street

67 (84) King Street, The Harp

119 King Street, Knight & Mortlock’s Almshouses

(45) (93-94) King Street, Carpenter’s Arms, Cambridge

(31) (100) King Street

(53) King Street

Swann’s Court, King Street

8 (8) King Street

Green’s Passage, King Street

34 (21) King Street