Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Magdalene Street
  • Back Forward

Ekin’s Yard, Magdalene Street

History of Ekin's Yard, Magdalene Street

1780

The brewery in Magdalene Street, Cambridge was established in 1780 on part of The George Estate. William Ekin took over in 1834 then from about 1860 it became William Ekin & Son. William Ekin who was Mayor of Cambridge 1855/6 died in 1866 when his son, Augustus Goodman Ekin (1835-1892) was in charge of the business. He became the first Chairman of the Cambridge and Cambridgeshire Brewers Association in 1880. (see article in Brewery History 2012)

1842

William Ekin, the ‘Cambridge Telegraph’ coach proprietor, agreed a deal for a day mail service. Previously the mail was delivered at night by the railway.

1913

John Scudamore, boat builder

A Clark, stables

William Silk, stables

Projects

  • Magdalene Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Magdalene Street

Fisher’s Lane, (Rea Lane) Magdalene Street

5 Magdalene Street

30 Magdalene Street, Pickerel Inn & Pickerel Yard

29 Magdalene Street

Magdalene College (Monks’ Hostel / Buckingham College), Cambridge

Tan or Rowley’s Yard, Magdalene Street

16 Magdalene Street

Old Cross Keys Yard, Magdalene Street

24 Magdalene Street

13 Magdalene Street