Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

30 Magdalene Street, Pickerel Inn

History of 30 Magdalene Street

1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge: has walls of plastered timber-framing and of brick…It is L-shaped on plan, with a long range projecting W from the southern part of the E range. The oldest structure is that half, approximately, of the W range adjoining the E range; it is of the 16th cent.

1830:

John Nutter (Pigot’s)

1839:

John Glasscock (Pigot’s)

1851:

William Bullen (Gardner’s)

1852:

Thomas Favell (Slater’s)

1869:

William Bullen (Post Office)

W Bullen brewery © Museum of Cambridge

1871:

William Bullen, widower, 50, brewer, b Norfolk

Alfred, 20, b Cambridge

Amelia, 20, b Cambridge

Fred, 12, b Cambridge

George, 8, b Cambridge

Eliza Ransom, 29, cook, b Stapleford

George Bullen, brother, 60, gardener, b Norfolk

Elizabeth Foreman, 23, servant, b Fulbourn

Mary A Patten, servant, 16, b Fulbourn

Charles King, 20, barman, b Hardwick

1878:

W Bullen and Son (Spaldings)

1881:

James Harris, 43, hotel proprietor, b Middlesex

Emma, wife, 27, b Wiltshire

Fladgate, son, 16, b Kent, deaf

Ernest, 14, b Kent

Ethel, 12, b Kent

Percy, 11, b Kent

Minnie, 10, b Kent

Jane Vane, 21, lady help, b Kent

Maria Hall, 21, chamber maid, b Cambridge

Elizabeth Hartley, 15, servant

1888:

Frederick Silk (Kelly’s)

1892:

Frederick Silk (Kelly’s)

1896:

William Silk (Kelly’s)

1913

William W Silk, Pickerel Inn, fly and funeral carriage proprietor

Frederick Silk

9/10/1922: There were exciting scenes at the Pickerel Yard, Magdalene Street after a loud explosion was heard in the harness-room. Fred Silk had been cleaning his motor bicycle and in filling the tank had spilt petrol. He then lit the acetylene lamp and threw the match down. Immediately flames sprang from the floor and the petrol tank exploded. His arm was rather badly burned and bicycle left in a fearful state, though not damaged beyond repair: about half the back tyre was burned completely away. The fire was put out by Thomas Frohock, a porter at Magdalene College, using a Minimax patent extinguisher. (Cam.News)

1933:

Benjamin Frederick Silk (Kelly’s)

1962

Pickerel Inn

Karl E Friman

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.