Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

33 Market Hill, Central Temperance Hotel and Coffee tavern

History of 33 market Hill

1660: Three Tuns

Visited by Samuel Pepys

……………..

5/12/1903: The Central Temperance Hotel and Coffee Tavern, Market Hill, Cambridge was for sale by auction. It has been an important and famous inn for centuries; originally known as the ‘Three Tuns’ it was visited by Pepys in 1660. The large ballroom with the minstrels’ gallery still exists with valuable panelling and carved chimney pieces. It occupies an excellent position in a busy thoroughfare and is freehold. (Cam.News)

18/7/1905: The landlord of the Central Hotel, Cambridge, told how a man rang the bell in the commercial room and as if he could have a ‘number”. This was the customary way in which commercial travellers asked for a room. Later the man said he could not pay his bill. He did not believe he was a commercial traveller and called the police. The man carried a parcel, neatly done up similar to those carried by travellers but when opened it contained two racing calendars, a tin of boot polish and some newspapers. (Cam.News)

……………..

1911

Percy Mortimer Evans, 42, manager of hotel, b London

Mary Eleanor, 34, manageress, b Leics

Jane Grainger, 28, cook, b London

Maud Hills, 20, kitchen maid, b London

Rebecca Hunt, 20, commercial waitress,

Walter Coulson, 19, restaurant waiter, b Cambridge

Ethel Roberts, 17, maid, b Willingham

Albert Bloy, 17, bar youth,  b Manchester (killed in WWI)

Edward Noakes, 17, boots, b Cambridge

L Morris, 19, chauffeur, b London

1913

Central Temperance Hotel and Coffee tavern

Frederick William Webb, manager

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.