Camden House, Camden Court, Parker’s Piece
History of Camden House
Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: built in the second quarter of the 19th century. Like Park Lodge, it is of the villa type of house of the period.
For Hattersley family business, see 5 – 6Trinity Street.
William H Hattersley, 71
Emma Cowles, servant
Alice Mizen, 21, servant,
Robert Cowen, 26, servant
William H Hattersley
Martha A Cole, cousin, 54,
Phoebe Mizen, housemaid
Clara Tassand, cook
Robert Collen, 35, man servant
Gilbert Woollard Hattersely, 56
Hermine Roeper, 50
Gilbert Roeper, 26,
Amellia Crown, 20,
Flory Bonnes, 26
In 1901 the family were living at 5-6 Trinity Street.
Gilbert Roeper Hattersley was an enthusiastic officer in the Territorial Cambridgeshire Regiment which was affiliated to the Suffolk Regiment. In 1914 Gilbert was the recruiting officer. Gilbert fought at the beginning of the Somme campaign in the 11th Battalion and was among those wounded and sent back to England. He returned to France and in April 1917 was engaged in the capture of Rochincourt in the first battle of the Scarpe. The battalion was bombarded with gas shells and he lost an eye and one lung.
After demobilization he found that the family firm had closed. He started work with the Great Ouse Drainage Board and then, during WW2 with the Ministry of Food.
The family lived later in Mortimer Close and then at 20 Lensfield Road. Gilbert died in 1955.
1913: Camden House
Gilbert Woollard Hattersley [family buried in Mill Road cemetery]
(1a) Henry Walter, waiter
Henry Stephen de Grace Pritchard MRCS
(1a) James Gearing