Search by topic
Search by text
6 Peas Hill, The Arts Theatre
History of 6 Peas Hill
The architectural history of nos. 4-6 Peas Hill is very complicated and dates back to the 16th cent. For more detail see 1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge vol II p 326.
A Taylor, Cambridge The Hidden History, records an archaeological excavation on the site which found ‘a well containing the skinned and butchered remains of 79 young domestic cats, all dumped in the 13th cent. ‘ It is known that cat ur was commonly used for hats and trimmings; they were not usually eaten but this may have been a time of famine; cat meat could be passed off as hare.
J Hooper, hairdresser and perfumer
4/2/1936: The Cambridge Arts Theatre opened with a gala performance by the Vic-Walls Ballet Company. It is a beautiful piece of work with furnishings in autumn leaf and includes a restaurant and cafe bar. The cinema and sound apparatus is of the very latest type with facilities for the reproduction of gramophone records designed by Messrs Morley and Duke. The fresh air supply can be warmed or cooled while the main heating by water-fed radiators is instantly adjustable to meet the vagarities of the English climate (Cam.News)
The Arts Theatre