Search by topic
Search by text
Milne Street (Queens’ Lane – Trinity Lane)
History of Milne Street
During the 12th cent. in particular the area between Milne Street and the river became the most populous part of Cambridge. It was packed with hythes and docks all along the river front, and with warehouses, granaries, houses and a new church, St John Zachary, along the tiny lanes that ran through the area. Alison Taylor (Cambridge The Hidden History) notes that the volume debris produced in this area caused ground levels to rise about 2 metres.
Map of King’s College site c.1500
Novelist Philippa Gregory has created an interesting web site in which a map of Cambridge circa 1350 shows Milne Street running north to south. The northern end survives as Trinity Lane, the southern as Queens’ Lane; the central section was lost to the development of King’s College.