Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Queens' Lane
  • Back Forward
Black and white print showing the interior of Queens' College Chapel in Cambridge with wooden pews and an altar.

Rattee and Kett

Queens’ College, Cambridge

History of Queen's College Cambridge

A watercolour drawing shows a college courtyard with a grass lawn, a cloistered walkway on the right, and brick buildings.
Cloister Court, Queens’ College, 1887 by Henry Moule (MoC10/147/51)
Pencil drawing of an ornate fleur-de-lis carving with scrolled edges, featuring handwritten text at the bottom.
Queens’ College (MoC)
Watercolor drawing of a brick building wall beside a river with three swans swimming and trees lining the opposite bank.
Queens’ College Erasmus Walk from Mathematical Bridge. (MoC7:147:51)
A watercolor drawing shows a multi-story brick college building beside a river, with a small boat nearby and dense foliage.
Queens’ College from Erasmus Walk (MoC7:147:51)

General information on Queens’ College can be found on Wikipedia.


Designated Building of Local Interest: Erasmus Building


The sundial at the college is among the most remarkable in the world, not least because it was also used to operate as a moondial.

The college website has a detailed description of how to use it:

https://www.queens.cam.ac.uk/life-at-queens/about-the-college/college-facts/reading-the-dial-in-old-court


Work of Rattee and Kett:

The new chapel was designed by G F Bodley and work started in 1886. Work was carried out by Rattee and Kett.

Detailed notes on the chapel can be found here:

https://www.queens.cam.ac.uk/life-at-queens/the-chapel/architecture-and-fabric/

Black and white print showing a brick college building with multiple bay windows and stone trim, with text at the bottom.

The Dokett Building was constructed in 1911. It has 46 rooms over four floors.

Tags

  • college
  • Henry Moule
  • Rattee & Kett

Projects

  • Queens' Lane

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Queens' Lane

MRC laboratories, original LMB

2 Station Road, Poplar Cottage

Selwyn College, Cambridge

Carmelite Friary

Queens’ Lane – census data

Milne Street (Queens’ Lane – Trinity Lane)

The Anatomical School, Queens’ Lane

Four door hut, Queens’ College

King’s College Almshouses, Queens’ Lane