Search by topic
Search by text
58 St Andrew's Street and site of 1 Emmanuel Street / 57 St Andrew's Street
58 St Andrew’s Street
History of 58 St Andrew's Street
According to Beyond the Barnwell Gate (1915)_ this site has an interesting history. It belonged for centuries to St John’s. In the year 1532 there were three cottages here ‘leased to Richard Stronge, slayter, of Cambridge.’ A series of leases survived in the records; in 1743, the lease was in the possession of Rev John Mickleborough, a fellow of Corpus who was Professor of Chemistry and who held the living of St Andrew the Great and Landbeach. After his marriage he demolished the cottages and built a substantial mansion. Since the death of Mr Mickleborough in 1756 the property has been in the hands of well known medical men; the first of whom was Thomas Thackeray.
Thomas married Lydia, daughter of his neighbour, Mr Whish; this lady survived her husband and lived in the house until her death in 1830. Another Miss Whish became the wife of Francis Gunning, father of the esquire-bedell who wrote his Reminiscences of Cambridge.
The southernmost of the three cottages that had stood on the site, was known as The Antelope.
Some of the best panelling from this property is now preserved in Fisher House.
George Arthur Johnson, physician and surgeon
1930s: Dr S H Pritchard
Kendall and Son Ltd, umbrella makers