Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Trinity Street
  • Back Forward
Black and white photo of a brick corner building featuring ground floor shop windows and upper-floor balconies with iron railings.

18 Rose Crescent pre 1888 (MoC)

18 Rose Crescent (The Little Gift Shop on the Corner)

History of 18 Rose Crescent

Circa 1888 Gonville and Caius College extended St Michael’s Court resulting in the demolition of the existing buildings at this location.

2018

The Little Gift Shop on the Corner


Stone relief of two winged figures flanking a central coat of arms, set above a horizontal band with carved inscription.

The Little Gift Shop inscription, Trinity Street

Cambridge Inscriptions Explained by Nancy Gregory (2006)  comments on this inscription.

EX PRUDENTIA ET LITTERIS VIRTUTIS PETRA FIRMATIS IMMORTALITAS

From wisdom and learning, founded upon the rock of virtue, come immortality

It dates back only to 1901-1904 when this block was built by Gonville and Caius College to provide more accommodation. The words are supposed to be those of John Caius, explaining the significance of the Caius arms granted to him in 1561.

On the coat of arms the two serpents represent wisdom, the books portrays learning and the buckles, keys (i.e. Caius). The stone slab is the rock of virtue and the sengrene (large flower) and ‘flowers gentle’ (small flowers) stand for immortality.

 

Black and white photo of a brick corner building featuring ground floor shop windows and upper-floor balconies with iron railings.A tall stone corner building with an ornate niche containing a statue, a shopfront on the ground floor, and street-level signage.

 

Tags

  • Then and Now

Projects

  • Trinity Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Trinity Street

47 – 48 Sidney Street, Cambridge

documents

Mill Road, Cambridge 1823-1851

13 Magdalene Street

1 Trinity Street (29 Market Hill)

5-6 Trinity Street

13 Trinity Street

Le Foule Lane / Kings Childer Lane / Conduit

19 Trinity Street

26 Trinity Street (London & County Bank), Cambridge

37 Trinity Street

23 Trinity Street, Cambridge

King’s Hall

35 Trinity Street, Cambridge