Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Trinity Street
  • Back Forward
A heraldic drawing of a shield featuring three yellow lions on a red field within a white border patterned with ermine spots.

King’s Hall Cambridge

King’s Hall

History of King's Hall

‘King’s Hostel, Trinity College, Cambridge,’ by W D Caroe, pub 1909, is a detailed examination of King’s Hall. These notes and diagrams are taken from the book.

Black and white site plan drawing showing buildings, courtyards, and street names in central Cambridge.

Plan of King’s Hall site (Willis & Hall)

In 1336 Edward III purchased the house of Robert de Croyland which gave accommodation for 32 scholars.

In 1338-9 the King started the process of acquiring other land. This included the house and garden of Edmund de Walsingham, repaired in 1346-7. The acquisition in 1376 of William atte Conduit’s House completed the acquisition of the land required for expansion of the college.

Building actually started in 1375, Richard Ronhale being Warden. A new Hall and Chambers were completed in 1390 when Thomas Hethersete was warden. In 1393 a rather strange agreement was made whereby a wall was erected between the new establishment and St John’s to prevent unwelcome looking. Glazed windows of obscured were allowed in the wall but if they were broken they had to be repaired within a month subject to a fine. A lavatry and porch were added in 1399; a ‘pistrinum’ or bakehouse was started in 1411. In 1422 the Library was complete as well as the Master’s Chamber.

A coloured historical map showing the layout of King's Hall, Cambridge, with various buildings labelled and dated.

Suggested plan of King’s Hall before 1557


The history of King’s Hall can be found on Wikipedia.

A wide green lawn is bordered by a long brick building with multiple chimneys and a tall, ivy-covered stone wall at sunset.

Trinity College bowling green. Building at back was part of King’s Hall.

Hand-colored bird's-eye view drawing showing the enclosed courtyards, towers, and grounds of Trinity College, Cambridge.

1575 map of Trinity College showing King’s Hall and Michaelhouse

 

Tags

  • Cambridge University

Projects

  • Trinity Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Trinity Street

The Anatomical School, Queens’ Lane

15 Brookside, 15 Trumpington Road

3 West Road (New Road), Thorpe House

St Michael’s Court, Gonville & Caius College

Sun Inn / Whewell’s Court (Master’s Court)

32 Trinity Street, Cambridge

Gonville and Caius College

30 Trinity Street

14 Trinity Street (Turk’s Head Inn)

15 Trinity Street

33 Trinity Street

26 Trinity Street (London & County Bank), Cambridge

24 Trinity Street