Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

33 Trinity Street

History of 33 Trinity Street

1891

Henry F Batter, 70, registered general practitioner, b Oxford


1901


1911


1913

Miss Pate, The Cambridge University Typewriting Office

14/5/1947: Filmgoers who have seen Miss Betty Grable’s previous films with doubtless find her latest something of a novelty for “The Shocking Miss Pilgrim” shows her as one of the first typists, taping merrily on the keyboard of one of the first typewriters ever manufactured, nearly 80 years ago. There is an added novelty however, inasmuch as a machine similar to the one she uses is actually owned by a Cambridge resident who taught herself to type on it many years ago. This collector’s piece is the property of Miss M. Pate, proprietress since 1900 of the University Typewriting Office in Trinity Street. Before that it was owned by Oscar Browning of King’s College and bears on the lid a handwritten note saying it was “seen with much interest and tried by George Eliot” when on a visit to Mr Browning. (Cam. News)

16/10/1950: For the past half century Miss Minnie Pate, director of the University Typewriting Office in Trinity Street has been serving the University and its scholars. And now the University is acknowledging the value of her services by conferring upon her the distinction of an honorary degree. She was one of the first typists in Cambridge and taught herself on one of the first typewriters ever to be seen here – which is still kept in her offices. (Cam.News)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.