Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Roebuck House, Ferry Lane, Chesterton

History of Roebuck House, Ferry Lane

Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: the house presents a thick rectangular block on plan. The south-eastern part comprises a nearly symmetrical unit of the early 18th cent. designed with a room on each side of a central through-passage. An earlier range parallel with the adjoining the foregoing on the NW was rebuilt, with reuse of much material, by Robert Robinson when he bought the property in 1775; it then projected north-eastward beyond the early 18th century range and in the mid 19th century the NE re-entrant was filled. Robert Robinson, Baptist minister and farmer, write a brief account of his alterations and repairs; the MS is preserved in St Andrew’s Street Baptist chapel.

Outbuildings SW of the house, in part of timber-framing probably of the 17th century, include a stable; according to the MS, Robinson rebuilt the a stable, barn and wash-house in 1779.

1913:

1962:

Michael G Martindale

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.