Search by topic
Search by text
Roebuck House, Ferry Lane, Chesterton
History of Roebuck House, Ferry Lane
Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: the house presents a thick rectangular block on plan. The south-eastern part comprises a nearly symmetrical unit of the early 18th cent. designed with a room on each side of a central through-passage. An earlier range parallel with the adjoining the foregoing on the NW was rebuilt, with reuse of much material, by Robert Robinson when he bought the property in 1775; it then projected north-eastward beyond the early 18th century range and in the mid 19th century the NE re-entrant was filled. Robert Robinson, Baptist minister and farmer, write a brief account of his alterations and repairs; the MS is preserved in St Andrew’s Street Baptist chapel.
Outbuildings SW of the house, in part of timber-framing probably of the 17th century, include a stable; according to the MS, Robinson rebuilt the a stable, barn and wash-house in 1779.
Michael G Martindale